“ What specific technical knowledge should a Production Support candidate have? ”

Minghui Z. asked a question
during the live chat Meet the Analysts
to Citi Recruitment Team

18/11/2015
11 Live chat
Hello! In the technical interviews, what background knowledge a Production Support candidate should know?
18/11/2015
Technology Analyst, Citi

Hi Minghui

18/11/2015
Minghui Z.

Hi Anusuya!

18/11/2015
Technology Analyst, Citi

Citi will be training you on your Finance and also technical knowledge before you start your real work. We have 2 months training program which covers pretty much from the basic of UNIX, SQL, monitoring and other tools we use within Citi. Therefore, if you have UNIX, PERL, SQL, prior knowledge it is good, but otherwise I wouldn't worry, as we have immense training within citi itself. Therefore Citi will be looking for candidates with good analytical skills, and problem solving skills for a Prod Support candidate.

18/11/2015
Minghui Z.

Thanks for your answer! Since I am studying Human Computer Interaction, which is more about front-end, I have never involved in UNIX or SQL. In the interviews, will the interviewer expect me to answer this kind of technical questions?

18/11/2015
Technology Analyst, Citi

Personally, they interviewed me only on what I have written on my CV. I had in depth knowledge on UNIX or SQL before I applied to citi. However, one of my colleague he didn't have any technical knowledge before. However, we both have been selected and working at Citi in similar roles - this shows, Citi looks for whether you got potential for a Production Support and also Citi will monitor your performances during your training. You just need to justify on the role you are applying - 'why this role' 'what can you bring it for citi' etc.

18/11/2015
Minghui Z.

Thank you very much for your detailed answer :)
What are the sort of problems you have solved most frequently as in Production Support?

18/11/2015
Technology Analyst, Citi

My day to day job is - 1) monitoring our systems , whether all in healthy state, if not, fix it or try to reach out to the responsible person 2) when trading desk contact us on any issues (this could be anything, even if the trades didn't get booked)we have to prioritise the issues and look at the logs and find out the issue and fix it temporarily and then look for a permanent fix. 3) other interesting development work I can do during my free time to make support life easier.

18/11/2015
Minghui Z.

Thanks for your insight. After the initial training, will there be any exam before you take on actual responsibility?

18/11/2015
Technology Analyst, Citi

yes, during the training you will have tests for every module (like Unix, sql, finance) and then they will analyse your capability and try to train you more on your weekness.

18/11/2015
Minghui Z.

Thank you very much for all your detailed answers! I got a deeper insight about Production Support :) I am going to attend an Assessment Centre soon, look forward to talking to you again in the future.

18/11/2015
Technology Analyst, Citi

definitely. If you are around Citi, I would definteily take you to the trade floor and show you around my day to day job

Add to this thread

Citi

For more than 200 years Citi has enabled growth and economic progress around the world. The company provides clients and customers with a broad range of financial services and products. Its aim is to create the best outcomes for them, using financial ingenuity to develop simple, creative and responsible solutions.

A career with Citi means being part of a global firm that provides the most forward-thinking financial products and solutions to the most enterprising corporations, institutions, governments and individuals around the world.

This is an opportunity to join the heart of the global financial services industry at a truly exciting period in its development. It’s an opportunity to work with the brightest minds to drive responsible, positive change across the organisation, the banking industry, and beyond.

Visit website