Tai N.
“ What are the key factors that Citibank are drawn to during interviews and assessment? ”

Tai N. asked a question
during the live chat Meet the Team
to Citi Recruitment Team

on 22/11/2017
23 Live chat
Alan P.
on 22/11/2017
Alan P.

I guess some of you worked in other banks. According to your personal experiences, what differentiate Citi from the other Investment Banks?

on 22/11/2017
Senior Analyst, Power And Utilities Investment Banking

Hi Tai. I believe you will receive different answers depending on if you speak to HR or the actual team as we assess different things. For me, and my team, we try to assess if the person is someone we would be able to work with, so it is much about how you present yourself. I appreciate people that are curious, nice and humble. At the same time we are of course also assessing capabilities and how you demonstrate these.

Gabriel C.
on 22/11/2017
Gabriel C.

Hello Aishling, nice to meet you!

Tai N.
on 22/11/2017
Tai N.

In terms of technical questions and the way you assess applicants, what would you say is the way to prepare?

Andrew C.
on 22/11/2017
Andrew C.

Hi all, just building on this. How would you recommend one conducts themselves in a group task during an assessment centre? Thank you

on 22/11/2017

In terms of preparation, I would recommend you Google "investment banking questions" and 100s will show. You should practice these and what is very helpful is to do mock interviews with friends. It can be uncomfortable, however, I promise you that it will pay off to come prepared for the interviews.

Sergey P.
on 22/11/2017
Sergey P.

Mette, would you recommend reading Investment Banking by Rosenbaum? What about brainteasers or mental math?

Tai N.
on 22/11/2017
Tai N.

Thanks!

on 22/11/2017

Hi Andrew,

It is a tricky question and depends on the dynamics of the group. It is important that you do not fall to the back. Make yourself noticed and present your ideas. Try to demonstrate your ability to have discussions and present arguments.

Tai N.
on 22/11/2017
Tai N.

Would it be possible for an International Studies & Chinese Language Graduate, to join an investment banking program?

Michaela A.
on 22/11/2017
Michaela A.

What do you think is the core value of Citibank's culture? Thank you.

Andrew C.
on 22/11/2017
Andrew C.

Hello Mette,

Thank you very much for your answer. Could you give me any insight into what these group tasks may entail? Thank you

on 22/11/2017

Hi Sergey,

I have not read the book, so I can not say. What is useful is to come our events and speak to people to get an understanding of what we do. Once you go into preparation for the interviews, I would recommend doing a few brainteasers - more to be prepared for the format and practice your calculation skills.

Sergey P.
on 22/11/2017
Sergey P.

Thank you very much.

on 22/11/2017

Hi Michaela,

I believe it is hard to put one word or sentence on Citi's values and culture (huge organisation) and it depends on your point of view. From my personal point of view, Citi's core values are about developing people and delivering good work to clients (internal/external). In order to keep good staff that can deliver the work, a lot of effort is put into making sure we are happy, motivated and stimulated.

Michaela A.
on 22/11/2017
Michaela A.

Thank you.

on 22/11/2017

Andrew, I cannot recall the correct details. However, I believe you will be presented with a case with multiple solutions where you would be asked to discuss the possible solutions. People will have different views (which we expect) and you need to collaborate and explain in order to reach a joined solution.

Andrew C.
on 22/11/2017
Andrew C.

Thank you very much Mette, what assessment criteria would apply to these tasks, other than making active contributions?

on 22/11/2017

This question is beyond my knowledge. Let me defer to HR to answer this. I think the overall question to be answered is "will this person be able to work in a team and the dynamics that comes with it?"

Ruijia L.
on 22/11/2017
Ruijia L.

Hello Mette, thank you for your time answering the questions. Just following the developing aspect you mentioned above, could you share a bit more detail about how Citi has been working to promote employees' happiness and motivation? Thank you!

Andrew C.
on 22/11/2017
Andrew C.

Thank you for your answers, i look forward to hearing from them.

on 22/11/2017

We do lots of surveys measuring how people feel - and these are of course great indicators. What I personally have experienced is that senior management in their respective teams have taken a personal interest in taking care of juniors. If an issue is raised, it is taken seriously and the problem is addressed.

Ruijia L.
on 22/11/2017
Ruijia L.

Thank you so much for your answer Mette! Have a great day!

Add to this thread

Citi

For more than 200 years Citi has enabled growth and economic progress around the world. The company provides clients and customers with a broad range of financial services and products. Its aim is to create the best outcomes for them, using financial ingenuity to develop simple, creative and responsible solutions.

A career with Citi means being part of a global firm that provides the most forward-thinking financial products and solutions to the most enterprising corporations, institutions, governments and individuals around the world.

This is an opportunity to join the heart of the global financial services industry at a truly exciting period in its development. It’s an opportunity to work with the brightest minds to drive responsible, positive change across the organisation, the banking industry, and beyond.

Visit website